Millions of men and women suffer from some form of hair loss—it’s not just a male issue. In fact, more than 30 million women and 50 million men in the US struggle with hair loss. While it can often be a cosmetic issue, hair loss may indicate more troubling health concerns like vitamin deficiency, underactive thyroid, PCOS, cancer or lupus. If you notice sudden and significant hair loss, speak to your primary care physician as soon as possible.
Tips to prevent hair loss
Most people will experience gradual hair loss in their lifetime, starting around their 40th birthday. Whether you’re experiencing normal hair loss or hair loss resulting from a chronic or short-term health condition, you can protect the hair you do have with a few hygiene tips, including:
- Avoid hairstyles that pull on the hair – Ponytails and tight braids can loosen the bond between the hair follicle and scalp over time.
- Avoid high-heat styling tools – Hair dryers, straighteners and curlers can dehydrate the hair, leaving it vulnerable to damage.
- Avoid chemical treatments – Hair coloring, bleaching and perms cause sudden and irrevocable damage to hair follicles.
- Use a mild shampoo with natural ingredients – Many shampoos on the market contain harsh ingredients that can strip the hair of its natural oils and fatty acids.
- Use a soft-bristled brush – Brush your hair daily with a soft brush made from natural fibers to promote healthy oil levels on your hair.
- Maintain a healthy diet – Eating a diet rich in antioxidants can help prevent oxidative stress (environmental factors that damage hair follicles). Fill your plate with strawberries, blueberries, beans, legumes, spinach and kale.
- Quit smoking – Smoking can prematurely age your hair follicles, making them brittle and easy to damage.
If you’re concerned about hair loss and are interested in expert hair loss treatment in Amarillo, contact the skilled specialists at Amarillo Hair Restoration Center at 806-355-HAIR (4247). It’s time to enjoy full, healthy hair again.